Day 9

In the morning, Hannah and I showed the other interns our lab and I explained what the GRIT machine is used for and its individual parts with Chris's help. After, I took another look at the coding left from yesterday. However, since Chris wasn't in the lab at the time we decided to run a trial of my dry sieving with a 200 gram sample of sand from the cabinet first. We took pictures of the sample before and after putting it through the sieve shaker for image analysis purposes later next week. We also made data charts from the different weights of the sieves with and without samples in them. While we were taking apart the sieve stack after shaking the sample, we noticed that there was no sample left in most of the larger sieves so we decided to experiment with a larger (400 gram) sample of the same type of sand after lunch. In the afternoon, Chris also showed me a website that I could refer to to help me with thresholding a grayscale image (a grayscale image and its thresholded counterpart are shown below). This code basically splits an image into black and white based on a specific threshold value. A threshold value of 0 is just a black image. Around 4, Hannah and I went around and collected the reflectances of different objects inside and outside the imaging science building (i.e cars, trees, buildings, flowers, branches, the ground, chairs, tables, walls, billboards...) using an ASD spectrometer. We collected data from 50 samples total. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1

Day 20

Day 7